Trailer Talk - Venom (Trailer 1)

HOLY SHIT! This trailer is absolutely, ridiculously awesome!  

Somebody on the internet leaked a footage of the trailer from Cinemacon of Eddie transforming and it was 3 AM when I came across the footage released on Twitter. I patiently waited the whole day for this and I am happy to report, the trailer delivered on all fronts. Let's take a more in-depth look at it now, shall we?


I should admit, the first few scenes were in the teaser as well. I am not going to focus on that. So Eddie is on a date with Ann Weying and they discuss about how Carlton Drake (?) is an evil person. Then we see Eddie being a reporter and pretty straight forward about murder accusations on the head of Life Foundations. Drake is pissed at this. Eddie tells Jenny she sucks at hiding and Jenny tells she is gonna whistle-blow this whole "murder" thing. And she does, rather surprisingly, in the trailer itself. A bit too much information I would say, but I know where it will be going so I am fine with that. Now we see what maybe the genesis of Cletus Kassidy aka Carnage. So Carlton is indeed using human test-subjects (hopefully criminals, one of which should be Kassidy in the future if everything goes right), Eddie goes to investigate and this is where it gets interesting - he gets jumped on by an infected. It looks as if she bites him and that is how he gets the symbiote inside him, If I'am not mistaken. This is a very different direction from how Venom became Venom (that would be because of Spiderman). Now I am quite sure they would not be bringing the web-head into the picture. Maybe an unrelated cameo or something, but not as a cause for Venom.

And it goes south from there, in a good way! We get to hear Venom for the first time. I lost it when the symbiote calls him "Eddie...". The evil guys from Life come to his dingy apartment to take back the symbiote and the symbiote would not let them. I am actually surprised they showed some footage of Venom controlling Eddie. The performance from Hardy in these scenes is actually very good, not surprisingly. We see tentacles from Eddie that clean the place and then he (thankfully) uses "we" in his sentences. The bad guys keep chasing him and then we get a glimpse of the "deal" between "them". Venom's voice is really, really cool. I wish they did the double-voice thing they did in the cartoon which sounded more alien, but this is fine also IMO. Eddie meets Carlton mano-y-mano and threatens him in the most "symbiotic" way and the scene where he grabs hold of his bike using his tentacles in slo-mo is sweet af.

And then we come to the BIG reveal. This is the moment that will slap all the naysayers out there right in the face! We see Eddie transforming into Venom for the first time and he friggin' says "WE ARE VENOM!". This is the point where my beard grew a bit since I consider this to be one of the most bad-ass moments in comics. I can imagine fans flipping out on this in the cinema. I admit, the CGI is a bit rough around the edges - dare I say, a bit cartoonish, but this is only the first trailer. There have been instances where the CGI gradually kept getting better with trailers in other movies, even from the MCU. So give it time and I am sure Venom will be cooked to perfection when it is served.

Finally, to all the whiners out there who saw the teaser and were like "but where's Venom?", and "this movie suuucks!", take a whiff of this and shove it!

Comments

Popular Posts